Monday, May 21, 2012

Tonal.


 Artist's Disclaimer: Due to location limitations and financial tightwaddery I have been photographically frustrated and spending more time at home on projects, collages and Facebook.

Recently, I picked up the May editions of Elle Decor and Harper's Bazaar, a splurge at $5.99 and $4.99 respectively.  They are two of my favorite magazines to collage with because I actually enjoy the content before I cut them up, the print and paper quality are good, and they are 9 inches wide as opposed to the typical 8 inches.

I like to attend open studio hours at the art guild but find working on photographs is not very portable.  So this past week I took my newest magazines with the intention of flipping through them while enjoying being part of a group, like a brain-storming session.  I ended up with a few stacks of color stories, my favorite being a soft pink and ivory tonal group.  Since the colors are calming I knew the design should be simple and any added elements needed to blend together yet hold their own compositionally. 

The resulting collage consists of only seven pieces and is approximately 8 1/2" x 8 1/2" including the protruding fingers, a new feature I've never used before.





Looking back, I rarely work within only one hue.  The reason I enjoy collage is experimenting and playing with color combinations, especially contrasting colors.  There are two I found that mostly follow a single color theme, both older and sized at 8 1/2" x 11".







No comments:

Post a Comment