Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas.

Christmas as a child-free adult who lives far from family and works full-time in retail is really not a holiday at all.  It is only a guaranteed (for now) day off after the stress of fulfilling holiday obligations in between long, anxiety-ridden work days.  I'm not exactly a Scrooge or a Grinch, but I carry no joy though the holiday season.

A thought I have been pondering these past few days stems from a comment I read posted after a photography blog article.  The commenter states,

"A point that I think can't be ignored is the over-saturation of social media -- we spend so much time sharing that we don't spend any time actually thinking, or creating. Let's remember one vital point: creativity happens in the empty, lazy spaces when we're 'wasting time'...and that just doesn't happen if we're wired on technological crack."

I added the bold on the statement that stood out most, though his surrounding thoughts on social media are ones I share and have been struggling with for the past few years.  I want to shake his hand for his frankness in so precisely proclaiming the idealistic frustrations I've had with social media.

Those two sentences pulled from his comment have fueled a stream of thinking in the past couple days that has yet to lead me to any conclusion.  It's like following a sheen of motor oil on a puddle in a parking lot -- you know it came from somewhere and you can't figure out it's path or it's future turns but you continue to study it with curious fascination.




----------

In an addition to my previous post on my Summertime Fluevogs, I was able to use some of my "lazy spaces" today for a family photo.



2012.12.25.  [Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS UD]


No comments:

Post a Comment